A brilliant collaboration between Fiat’s Style Centre in Turin and fashion label Diesel has spawned 2011’s ‘must-have’ designer accessory, the Fiat 500 by Diesel, the only car that takes fashion from the runway to the freeway. The Cinquecento, with its retro-chic looks, endless array of customisation options and Italian style, was the perfect mascot to receive a Diesel Designer ‘make-over’.
Based on a Fiat 500 in Sport trim, the 500 by Diesel is available in two versions (hatch and cabriolet) and these come in two unique metallic hues – Diesel Green or Blue Midnight Indigo.
At a glance, here are some of the other unique exterior features:
- Special 16″ alloy wheels with the Diesel logo
- Dark tinted rear windows
- Burnished metal finish front and rear bumper inserts, door mirrors, side mouldings, boot finisher, door handles and side pillar mouldings
- Diesel logo on rear finisher, and side mouldings
- Special door mirror fairings.
- Front fog lights
- Rear parking sensors
- Moving indoors, take note of the following interior highlights:
- Blue&Me – Bluetooth hands-free system, voice recognition, steering wheel-mounted controls and USB port
- My Port – allows for seamless dashboard integration with a Tom Tom navigation system
- Hi-Fi “Interscope sound system” (4 speakers, 2 tweeters, amplifier and subwoofer)
Bespoke upholstery by Diesel in denim fabric with yellow stitching. The Diesel label logo also appears on the instrument panel, while a special pouch, reminiscent of the fifth pocket on Diesel jeans, appears on the side of the front seats.
- Special yellow instrument panel insert and burnished metal-finish dashboard insert
- Specific gear knob with Diesel logo
- Door sill kick plates with the playful slogan – “For successful living”
- Fixed glass roof with blind – hatch only
Of course, as with other 500s in Sport trim the 500 by Diesel also comes with Automatic climate control and pollen filter as well as the full complement of passive and active safety systems including 7 airbags, ESP (stability control), traction control, Hill holder and ABS with EBD. All 500s come with a 5-star EuroNCAP rating.
On the technical front, the 500 by Diesel (hatch and cabriolet) is powered by Fiat’s feisty 74 kW 1.4-litre 16v Euro 5-ready engine mated to a six-speed manual gearbox. Maximum torque is rated at 131 Nm at 4250 rpm.
This gives the latest designer Cinquecentos a good turn of speed: the 0-100km/h sprint is dispatched in a mere 10,6 seconds while a highly illegal maximum velocity of 181 km/h is more than achievable. Fuel consumption, however, is not compromised – you’re looking at 8,2 l/100km in the urban cycle; 5,2 l/100km in the extra-urban cycle and a very credible 6,3 l/100km in the combined cycle. Emissions are 149g/km.
“I am delighted that we are able to expand the Cinquecento’s product portfolio with the 500 by Diesel – in fact, it’s the first of several exciting Fiat 500 limited editions that will be introduced during this year,” says Oscar Rivoli, managing director, Fiat Group Automobiles SA. “It will appeal to free-spirited drivers who have a distinctive personality and, with all the benefits of Fiat 500 already there, I have no doubt that it will prove a first-rate purchase for its trendy new owners, both male and female.”
Pricing and Servicing
- Fiat 500 by Diesel (hatch) – R182 480 (incl. VAT and emissions tax)
- Fiat 500 by Diesel Cabriolet – R214 480
Enhancing the ownership prospect, the Fiat 500, as with other premium products in the Fiat stable, has 30 000 km service intervals and enjoys full after-sales support in South Africa thanks to a comprehensive parts inventory (housed and distributed in an all-new, state-of-the-art facility) and the back-up of trained technicians at Fiat dealerships countrywide.
Fiat Group Automobiles South Africa offers a three-year 100 000 km Warranty (three years on paintwork and five years on rust anti-perforation) as well as a five-year / 90 000 km service plan as standard on both new models.