NASREC, Johannesburg – Dodge has responded to the needs of the passenger car market, as well as those of individual drivers, and presents the all-new Dodge Journey: a global vehicle that meets changing demands by offering a unique combination of versatility and flexibility in a sporty, sexy package.
This all-new vehicle takes the practicality of a minivan (MPV), the capability of a sport-utility vehicle (SUV) and the overall efficiency of a passenger car and blends all the best attributes of each into an all-new “right-sized” Cross-over vehicle for the Dodge brand.
Dodge Journey is built on the company’s global D-segment platform and is designed to meet the needs of customers ranging from young singles, couples and families with small children to mature families who want the flexibility to do more in terms of seating people or storing gear. Clever, flexible seating and storage combinations include standard five-plus-two seating, for times when additional passengers are along for the ride.
Spacious storage bins, hidden in the floor and under the front passenger seat cushion, combined with a variety of powerful yet fuel-efficient engine options, make Dodge Journey flexible, functional and fun to drive.
Safety is paramount for customers, and Dodge Journey delivers with a number of standard features; multi-stage front driver and passenger airbags, front-seat-mounted side airbags, three-row side-curtain airbags, four-wheel anti-lock brakes (ABS), Electronic Stability Program (ESP), Electronic Roll Mitigation and a practical reversing camera.
The 2009 model-year Dodge Journey is available in SXT and R/T derivatives.
Bold, powerful proportions with edgy lines evoke SUV capability
Journey is unmistakably Dodge, with powerful, muscular exterior styling cues that evoke the capable look associated with SUVs.
From the front, the signature Dodge crosshair chrome grille, with the Dodge Ram’s head stamped in the centre, hammers home the Dodge brand message that Journey is bold, powerful and capable. Modern-looking quad halogen headlights provide excellent lighting. Fascia-mounted fog lights strengthen the contemporary look and help boost visibility during bad weather. Body-colour fascias provide a monochromatic look that neatly frames the chrome crosshair grille and headlights.
Journey boasts 17-inch rims and tyres on the SXT versions and 19-inch on the R/T, which set it apart from the rest of the crossover pack. From the side view, Dodge Journey’s horizontal aluminium bonnet, long daylight opening and low-gloss black appliqués on the B and C-pillars provide an elongated elegance. Sculpted wheel arches emphasise Journey’s sporty, athletic appearance.
The beltline is more angled in front and less so toward the rear, mimicking the top of the tail lamp. The optional high-contrast black roof rack with buffed stainless steel roof rails adds capability and completes Journey’s side view.
Journey’s rear view elicits as much excitement as the front. Journey’s single piece, lightweight tailgate includes an integrated spoiler that delivers improved aerodynamics. An LED centre high mounted stop light is positioned in the tailgate above the glass. Like the integrated spoiler above it, the outer surface of the stop light is styled for aerodynamics.
Four-piece jewelled red tail lights span the width of both the tailgate and the body, and feature unique curves that give the Journey added style and sportiness. The rear glass on the tailgate’s lower edge follows the curvature of the tail lights to improve visibility through the rear window.
Journey’s 2 890mm wheelbase accommodates its five-plus-two seating as well as additional cargo space.
Dodge Journey will be available in Inferno Red Crystal Pearl Coat, Light Sandstone Metallic Clear Coat, Melbourne Green Pearl Coat, Deep Water Blue Pearl Coat, Silver Steel Metallic Clear Coat, Bright Silver Metallic Clear Coat, Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat and Stone White Clear Coat.
Spacious interior room for the entire journey
A key target for the Journey’s design team was delivering a practical, flexible interior, with seating and innovative storage features typically only found in a minivan. The final product delivers.
Journey’s two-box exterior design means more room for seating people and storing gear. Journey offers five-plus-two-passenger seating on all models with the third row offering passengers 51mm more headroom than leading competitors.
Storing things “under the front seat” takes on an entirely new meaning, thanks to Journey’s Flip ’n Stow™ in-seat storage. The Journey’s front passenger seat cushion flips forward to reveal a large 273 x 222mm bin under the seat cushion. The bin is large enough to store a purse, umbrella, planner or headphones with the seat down. The seat cushion is hinged, and when flipped forward, provides access to the storage bin.
Journey’s rear doors open 90 degrees, making it easier for people to get in and out of the second row and gain access to the third-row seats.
In the second row, Journey features theatre-style seating, which affords the passengers in the second and third rows better visibility, something that is especially helpful for keeping kids entertained on long drives. The second row is 40mm higher than the first row with the third row another 17mm higher.
Located in the floor behind the front-row seats are two standard in-floor storage bins that are designed to hold a dozen standard cooldrink cans plus ice or other items conveniently out of sight. For added convenience, the bins feature latching lids and removable, washable liners.
The second-row seats move forward and backward a total of 120mm to offer adults more leg room, bring children closer to the front seats and provide more cargo room behind the seats. Folding the second row and the fold-flat front passenger seat flat creates ample room for carrying long loads.
The third-row seat is easy to operate and get into, thanks to Journey’s stadium Tip ’n Slide™ second-row seats. With the turn of a single lever on the side of the seat back, the seat cushions easily fold upward and the seat slides forward. Journey’s 50/50-split-folding third-row seat provides enough room for two passengers when required. The seatback reclines 6 degrees to make the ride even more comfortable. A rear in-floor hidden storage bin located behind the third-row seat is standard.
In addition to seating and storage features, Journey’s versatile and functional interior features a two-tone colour scheme with high-contrast dark and light colours. A two-tone combination of Dark Slate Grey and Light Greystone or Dark and Light Pebble Beige is available on SXT and R/T models. A premium soft-skin instrument panel provides a sense of quality and craftsmanship. Chrome accents the upper centre bin latches, door handles, shifter bezel and door lock knobs and instrument cluster bezel. Journey R/T models add chrome touches on the radio and climate control knobs.
Dodge Journey also features two types of seat upholstery: YES Essentials® stain and odour-resistant, anti-static seat fabric is standard on the SXT, whilst leather is standard on the R/T model.
Tuning in to MyGIG
Dodge Journey is available with a variety of audio systems, including the innovative MyGIG multimedia navigation, audio and entertainment and communication system. Journey owners can use touch screen or voice commands to control MyGIG’s features. The system also includes a 30-gigabyte hard drive for owners to store their favourite music, photos and voice messages.
In addition to the navigation software and mapping, the MyGIG hard drive can hold approximately 2 400 songs, which equals to more than 150 hours of music. There also is a voice-memo recorder feature, which allows a message up to 3 minutes long to be recorded using the microphone integrated into the rearview mirror so that Journey owners can leave themselves convenient reminders.
MyGIG’s voice dialogue system recognises more than 100 000 words and is capable of learning and growing. The navigation has both 2-D and 3-D bird’s-eye views of roads and multiple route calculation. Maps and guidance are displayed on 7-inch VGA Thin-Filament-Transistor (TFT) display. The TFT screen uses active matrix for viewing from angles up to 180 degrees—perfect for the centre of an instrument panel.
Journey’s radio head units feature a 3.5mm audio input jack for easy connection to any MP3 player. The standard audio sound system offers six Infinity speakers plus subwoofer and eight-channel amplifier that delivers excellent sound quality and loudness with improved amplification and sound clarity. This radio also features an integrated six-disc CD/DVD changer and can also play back CDs with MP3 and WMA files. Loading the changer with CDs or discs full of MP3-formatted music provides thousands of kilometres worth of music.
Journey offers a UCI connector located in the glove box. This allows an iPod to be plugged into the vehicle’s sound system to play music through the vehicle’s speakers, charge/recharge the iPod when the ignition is on, display artists and music choices on the radio and pause play when the UConnect system receives a phone call. The iPod can be controlled through the radio controls and the remote steering wheel switches (if the vehicle is so equipped).
Video Entertainment System (VES)
Journey also offers an optional rear-seat video entertainment system (VES). This system allows Journey’s rear seat passengers to enjoy movies, music and external audio/video devices such as video games and MP3 players. The system consists of a console-mounted DVD player with an 8-inch LCD screen, a battery-powered remote control and two wireless, multichannel headsets. The system will play DVDs, WMAs, MP3s and audio and video CDs. Additionally, auxiliary input jacks on the faceplate show video directly from a video device, so Journey’s rear seat passengers can play games from a video game console or listen to music directly from a portable MP3 player.
When the Journey’s VES system is not playing a video, the video screen displays information in a split screen format, with two channels. The VES remote control is designed to control either channel by the use of a selector switch on the control. The headphones are designed to listen to either channel by use of the selection switch located on the right ear cup. Using the included dual channel wireless headphones allows rear passengers to listen to two different sources simultaneously. The audio from the VES can be heard through either the Journey’s speaker system, the wireless headphones, or both.
UConnect hands-free communication system
UConnect uses Bluetooth® technology to provide wireless communication between the customer’s compatible mobile phone and the vehicle’s onboard receiver. The UConnect control buttons are integrated into the Journey’s radio head unit.
UConnect features include:
- Voice dialling: Voice commands may be used to digit-dial the phone or access pre-stored voice tags
- Audio address book: Thirty-two names, four numbers per name, for a total of 128 phone numbers can be stored in the system
- Emergency calls and towing assistance: Voice command dials emergency or towing assistance
- Audio-system mute: Mutes the microphone for privacy
- Call transfer: Allows the customer to transfer a call from the vehicle’s system to the mobile phone
- Three language options: Provides English, French and Spanish language capabilities
- Multi-phone recognition: Can recognise as many as seven phones that can be used within one Journey system
Innovative, clever features deliver flexibility
Many of the Journey’s innovative and clever features are designed for easy operation and include:
- MyGIG™ cutting-edge multimedia audio and entertainment system
- ParkView™ Rear camera displays the view behind the vehicle in the navigation display when reversing or parking
- Full-colour, GPS map navigation system with 178mm display provides convenient directions
- Rear-seat entertainment system includes a 203mm colour monitor that works with the radio DVD player. The display conveniently folds down from the headliner to entertain rear seat passengers
- UConnect™ provides convenient, hands-free communication with BlueTooth™ cellular phones
- Chill Zone™ cooled beverage storage bin located in the glove box helps keep drinks cool through the air conditioning system or fresh air inlet
- Three-zone climate control with rear mounted switches and temperature controls
- YES Essentials premium cloth seats are stain resistant, odour resistant and anti-static for easy cleaning and a long-lasting appearance
- Aim-able LED map/reading lights provide focussed light without distracting the driver
- Removable and rechargeable LED flashlight is stored in the rear cargo area for convenient light when needed
- Illuminated cup holders glow blue green for easy night-time access
- Four 12-volt power points for powering small electronics. Two are in the front, one is in the second row and one is in the cargo area
- Standard five-plus-two seating provides flexible seating and cargo capability
- Occasional use, 50/50-split third-row seat, with a recline feature, folds flat for added cargo space when not in use
- 90-degree rear door openings make it easier to load and install child safety seats and provides access to the rear seating
- Fold-flat front seat with Flip ’n Stow provides storage under the seat cushion and a table-like surface when folded flat for added cargo flexibility. The seat cushion flips forward to reveal a 273mm x 222mm bin. The cushion can remain in the forward position to prevent items from sliding onto the floor
- Two second-row in-floor storage bins located in the floor behind the front row seats are designed to hold a dozen cooldrink cans plus ice or other items conveniently out of sight. The bins feature latching lids and removable, washable liners for added convenience
- Stadium Tip ’n Slide seat provides easy entry to the third row with one-hand, one-motion operation
- Tri-fold load floor located behind the second-row seats provides a hidden storage compartment for added utility. The load floor is reversible and configures into a “grocery bag” position. The primary side of the folding panel is carpeted for durability
- Rear in-floor storage bin includes a hidden storage bin behind the third-row seat. For added utility, a door in the bottom of the bin provides access to the tool and jack storage compartment
- Child presentation feature allows the driver to attend to a small child in the second-row seat when the vehicle is stationary
- Activity centre in second row seatback folds forward to provide two cup holders and a bin for storage of small electronics, snacks, crayons or other small items
- Sunglass bin with child observation mirror features convex glass for a wide field of view that allows the driver and front passenger to conveniently view the rear occupants
- Sliding centre arm rest moves forward 76mm for driver comfort
- Moulded map pockets with bottle holders in all four doors enhance storage and convenience
Powertrains provide efficiency, flexibility, fun-to-drive factor
The front-wheel-drive Journey features a four-wheel independent front suspension with MacPherson struts and a multi-link rear suspension. Front and rear suspension cross-members are insolated to the body to create a quiet ride, with less road noise, vibration and harshness. Four-wheel disc brakes are standard.
Several different engine/transmission combinations are designed to meet the needs of the diverse mid-size cross-over buyer. These include a fuel-efficient 2.7l V6 engine mated to a six-speed automatic transmission or a 2.0l turbo diesel engine equipped with a six-speed dual-clutch transmission.
This modern 2.0l 16-valve diesel engine is a state-of-the-art direct-injection power plant with high-pressure fuel injection, a variable geometry turbocharger and four valves per cylinder. The injectors are electronically controlled for high power and torque output and optimal fuel efficiency. Maximum power is 103kW, and peak torque is 310Nm. The engine delivers excellent overall performance and fuel economy of under 7l/100 km (combined cycle).
Six-speed transmission provides quick acceleration, quiet ride
Dodge Journey 2.7l models feature a standard six-speed automatic transmission and robust differential with increased torque capacity. Smaller steps between ratios also make for a smoother, quieter ride, as the engine speed doesn’t change as much with each shift. In addition, more ratio choices, more appropriate ratios for quicker acceleration and a lower overall top gear ratio provide a quiet ride and improved fuel economy at highway speeds.
Dual-clutch transmission technology
The all-new Dodge Journey will be available with a new dual-clutch transmission. This is the Chrysler Group’s first application of this six-speed automatic transmission, and it will be available with the 2.0l turbo diesel engine. It delivers as much as 6% fuel economy improvement.
Developed in partnership with Getrag, the new transmission is equipped with two independent lay-shaft style gear sets with separate clutches that use manual transmission-based components. During shifts, the next gear is anticipated and pre-selected. One clutch is then opened while the other is closed, allowing shifting without torque interruption. The result is quicker acceleration, refined shift quality and improved fuel economy.
Engineered to a high safety standard
From its high-strength structure to its active safety systems, Journey is designed and engineered to keep its occupants safe and secure. Standard safety equipment includes:
- Advanced multi-stage front airbags provide nearly instantaneous occupant protection by matching airbag output to crash severity
- Low-risk deployment airbags are included for smaller and out-of-position occupants
- Front seat-mounted side airbags deploy for enhanced thorax protection during a side impact
- Supplemental side airbag inflatable curtains with extended up time deploy downwards to provide head protection to all three rows during side impact
- Structural driver and front passenger knee bolsters control occupant kinematics and reduce leg loads
- Anti-lock brakes (ABS) modulate the brakes for the driver to provide steering control while braking
- Electronic Stability Program (ESP) applies selective braking or throttle reduction to control oversteer and understeer
- Brake Assist ensures maximum braking action during panic stops
- Traction Control reduces the throttle and/or applies selective braking to optimise traction during acceleration
- Electronic Roll Mitigation determines when the vehicle is in a potential roll over condition and applies appropriate braking force to reduce the likelihood that such an event will occur
- Rollover sensing deploys seat-mounted side airbags, side-curtain airbags and seat-belt pretensioners
- Trailer Sway Control helps maintain vehicle and trailer system stability by applying selective braking
- Event Data Recorder records the nature of a malfunction or impact event for retrieval using a service diagnostic tool
- Optional ParkView™ reversing camera displays the view behind the vehicle in the navigation display when reversing or parking
- Tyre Pressure Monitoring (TPM) alerts drivers to low tyre pressure(s) to facilitate safe handling
- Brake-park interlock prevents automatic transmission from being shifted out of Park or Neutral without first applying brakes
- Side guard door beams in front and rear doors provide occupant protection in the event of a side impact
The 2008 Dodge Journey is available immediately in three model derivatives:
- Dodge Journey 2.7l V6 SXT R259 900
- Dodge Journey 2.7l V6 R/T R289 900
- Dodge Journey 2.0l CRD R/T R349 900
Optional extras include:
- Power sunroof R10 000
- Rear seat entertainment R15 000
- MyGIG infotainment system R16 900
All Chrysler Group products come standard with a three year / 100 000km warranty and maintenance plan.