Fiat’s new Strada Life is here…
As promised, the new Strada Life is finally here to complete Fiat’s trinity of models in the now fully-imported, Brazilian-built Strada range.
The new model line-up now looks like this:
- Fiat Strada 1.4 Working – the first rung on the Strada ladder, this model represents extremely good value for money. It may be designated Working, but there’s nothing utilitarian about its comfort features: power steering, central locking (key-operated), a Fiat Code immobiliser, rev counter, tinted windows, third stop light, door pockets, glove box light, grab handles, load bin liner and a cigarette lighter / 12V power point are all part of the standard equipment package.
- Fiat Strada 1.4 Life – more lifestyle-oriented than the Working, the new Strada Life chips in with the following additional spec: air conditioning, electric windows, radio/CD stereo combo, 14-inch alloy wheels and a sliding rear window incorporating a chunky, matt black protective frame.
- Fiat Strada 1.4 X-Space Adventure – the only under one-ton bakkie range to feature an extended cab ‘X-Space’ variant. This not only makes the cabin airier, but most importantly adds valuable extra space of more than 30 centimetres or 300 litres behind the seats – very useful for storing small luggage items or clothes without occupying the passenger seat. In fact, the space is equivalent in size to that of a small car’s boot. There’s an added security benefit too: items that would normally have to be stored in the rear box can now be safely locked away indoors. What’s even more remarkable is the fact that all this extra space has not intruded too much into the rear load box, which shrinks from 1685m to 1303mm in length. The width is unaffected at 1350mm (1090mm between wheelarches). The payload for the X-Space is rated at 700kg as opposed to 715kg for the standard version. Befitting its flagship status, the X-Space Adventure gets the works (over and above the Life) including colour-coded exterior trim, front and rear fog lamps, roof rack, silver dashboard accents and a driver’s airbag.
Bear in mind that all models in the refreshed Fiat Strada range (including the new Life) received the following upgrades:
- A new 60 kW 1.4-litre 8-valve MPI engine – now standard across the range – replaces the smaller capacity 1.2-litre engine as well as the 1.6-litre powerplant. This 1368cc mill churns out a respectable 60kW at 5500rpm and 120Nm of torque at 2250rpm. All Stradas come standard with a five-speed manual box.
- New interior trim
- New Fiat badging
- New wheel caps (Working only – the Life and X-Space Adventure are equipped with alloy wheels)
- A new instrument cluster featuring re-designed dials including a rev counter and, for the first time, incorporating an electronic odometer. More subtle differences include the new ergonomically designed gear knob and handbrake lever.
Of course it’s worth remembering that the Strada’s core strengths still are:
- A maximum load capacity of 715 kg for the standard cab versions (700 kg for the X-Space Adventure) i.e. you get a three-quarter tonner for the price of a half tonner.
- 20 000 km service intervals – unique in this segment.
- A tough load box liner (non-slip) which extends over the tail gate for all variants. Sturdy hooks are positioned around the edges of the box and on the floor where they won’t get in the way of loading and unloading. These can be used to fasten objects securely. Access to the load compartment is made easier by the low box ground clearance and a tailgate that opens to 90 degrees. The tailgate can support a weight of up to 300 kg.
- Location of the full-size spare wheel behind the passenger seat for safety and convenience (standard cab versions only).
- Key-operated central locking and power steering across the range.
- A specially designed, omega-shaped rear axle – the central part is raised which enables the vehicle to negotiate rugged terrain (and avoid ‘middelmannetjie’ scrapes) with ease.
- One of the most affordable new-generation pick-up ranges in South Africa.
Oscar Rivoli, Managing Director of Fiat Group Automobiles, says: “Offering a few extra luxury touches and aesthetic enhancements, the new Life is a worthy addition to the revitalised Strada range and ensures that there’s a Strada for everyone.”
Service and Warranty
Enhancing the ownership prospect, the Fiat Strada has 20 000 km service intervals and enjoys full after-sales support in South Africa thanks to a comprehensive parts inventory and the back-up of trained technicians at Fiat dealerships countrywide.
Fiat Group Automobiles South Africa offers Fiat owners a 24-month Manufacturer Warranty, unlimited mileage and an additional 12-month Dealer Extended Warranty or up to 100 000km in total, three years on paintwork and five years on rust anti-perforation.
The new models are covered by the AA Fleetcare roadside assistance for 12 months. The service is active 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and is available by calling the dedicated toll-free number 0800 223 727.
Recommended Retail Prices (incl. VAT)
- Fiat Strada Working 1.4 R105 500
- Fiat Strada Life 1.4 R129 500
- Fiat Strada X-Space Adventure 1.4 R164 500
Metallic paint is the only option – R1 350 for the standard cab versions and R1 450 for the X-Space.